Friday, January 27, 2012

Interactivity #1: Technology as Autobiography

The three communications technologies which have had the most impact on my life have been the internet, the cell phone, and email. After viewing "Olivia's Story" and "Learning to Change, Changing to Learn" I am more aware than ever of how young people use technology much differently than I do. I will elaborate on this later, after I have shared what impacted me in the video clips.

Olivia is an impressive young lady. She favors technology like most young people do, but she is extremely resourceful and creative in both finding access to devices and making them work for her. If I was her teacher and found that only one-third of my students had regular computer access, I would not have been prepared to discover just how technically savvy the students were despite their lack of regular access. Olivia is one of the students without a home computer, but her computer knowledge is superior to mine. She has found that she can use computers at school, in her apartment building, at friends' homes, and even at (my favorite of her resources) the Apple Store! She has developed sophisticated skills on her own, including uploading photos and videos and the ability to design some impressive web pages. While it is important that her teachers realize Olivia's technological abilities, it is equally important that they acknowledge her innate abilities. Olivia is willing to share her skills and knowledge with others, such as her "Big Sister" mentor and her younger siblings. She is a natural innovator, problem-solver and teacher herself, which are qualities that should be recognized and nurtured by her school teachers.

In the second video clip, students describe a wide variety of ways and reasons for using technology. They begin with somewhat obvious reasons, such as convenience, reading and writing for school, gaming, music, and smartphone usage. But then, the students become more thoughtful about how they actually benefit from from having various technologies at their fingertips most hours of the day, even when they are just playing for their own enjoyment. Students are using technology to manipulate photographs, customize social networking pages, and to research and prepare school projects. They are using computers to learn new languages, compose music and create web pages from scratch at very, very young ages. But there were four responses that really impressed me. One student spoke about how using technology helps him edit and self-correct his own work. Another discussed the need to communicate and coordinate with others for success in cyber games, much as he would do in the real world. One young man related technological experimentation as key to the future, just as scientific experiments have shaped the world in which we currently live. A young lady spoke about learning more about one's self through the process of filtering the overload of information available in order to find what holds meaning for you. These four students thought about technology beyond the obvious uses such as texting and listening to mp3's, and uncovered some thought-provoking theories of how technology can be of real use in life and education.

Now, back to the three technologies that have impacted me: internet, cell phones and email. It may surprise some of you that when I graduated high school and began college, the world wide web was in its infancy. I never used Google to research topics for papers or search for pictures to accompany a report, because Google did not yet exist. I actually did my research in the brick-and-mortar library, using encyclopedias, books, magazines, and journals.  You can imagine how convenient it is to have most of this information and more available in seconds, in the comfort of my own home and pajamas. Email is of course linked to the internet, but it is my primary method of communication with people outside of my immediate family and friend network. Email saves me a great deal of time, so that I am able to divide that time among other necessities. If I had to make a phone call to deliver each piece information I sent by email every week, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with my courses this semester. However, the speed and convenience of email means I do not speak to as many people as I probably should. Speaking of phones, before cell phones were widespread, a group project at school entailed arranging a time and place for meeting and research, and relying on everyone actually showing up or choosing to work without them. I couldn't call or text my friends from the gas station to find out how difficult their Praxis exam had been or to tell my mom that I got a 4.0 in a course, or find out the latest news or traffic on the fly. Now we can conduct internet research, email our professors, text our peers and call our loved ones from one device. The downfall of cell phones and their numerous features is that most of us are seldom unreachable. I do make an effort to leave the phone behind sometimes and just exist the vintage way.

The students in the videos use technology in much more creative and sophisticated ways than I do. I admit that I use it primarily for necessity, for example, for school, work, and keeping in touch with people who are important to me. In my free time I use digital cameras, Adobe Creative Suite, and the internet for artwork and researching my hobbies and interests. But I have never used technology to learn a new language, compose a song, or design an interactive web page. In fact, this is the first time I have ever blogged. Olivia and the other students even think about technology more critically than I do. I never gave much thought to how I was using various technologies or why, or about new ways to incorporate them meaningfully into my life and the lives of my children and future students. Their insights have prompted me to begin doing just that.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Laura I really like how you talked about the students giving you a head start on thinking about how to incorporate technology meaningfully into your future classroom. I think it's important to realize that technology will be a big part of our future teaching careers and we need to start thinking about how and when would be appropriate to use technology. Also, I too was impressed at how Olivia went out of her way to find places from which she could access the internet. It was a very crafty idea to go to the Apple store when she wanted to take photos. I was actually very surprised at how many students in that class didn't raise their hand when the teacher asked them who had access to computers in their homes. It's good being exposed to this video so I can start to think about the many ways in which I would like to use technology for my future students, yet at the same time I have to consider who has access (I wouldn't want to assign anything too unrealistic).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura
    Your post was really interesting and very informative. It gave me great insight to how amazing you will be as an educator because I recognized simply in your writing a purposeful art to bringing your own experiences in to other's learning. You educated me in your short writing in just how much you have grasped, as all of us have, as technology has continually re-emerged in new forms. You actually inspired me to re-watch the videos and see what else I could muster from them that was different from my initial views. You also inspired me to attempt to exist in a more vintage way without constantly carrying around my phone for messages and other incessant notices. You have great writing voice. I enjoyed reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your opinion on the matter of technology is one of the most important considering you have been able to experience a world without the advanced technology we have today.

    I often find that our more life experienced classmates, friends, and family tend to ONLY use technology when they have to, or want to (reading the news, contacting people). What I mean is that they seldom use it to just explore. I find myself exploring the internet a lot, mainly youtube. I find it EXTREMELY educational and entertaining to watch other people write their own music, direct and film their own videos, and share with the world how they do what they do. Knowing you are a fine arts major, have you ever looked on youtube and searched "speed painting" or "speed drawing?" If you haven't, I would suggest it. It's basically a time lapse of some amazing artists painting/drawing. There may even be sculpting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linsay, thank you. I do need to spend some more time simply exploring, andI will certainly look up your suggestions, they sound fascinating!

      Delete
  4. Laura, I like how you have brought out some of the characteristics of the students and Olivia. Thanks for your perspective on technology! What is your opinion on the various theories of how to incorporate technology in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kevin, thanks for prompting me to think about this some more. I believe there is no end to the ways that technology can be incorporated into the classroom, it just requires some open-mindedness and creativity while planning lessons. Visual communication and design is an integral part of every website, smartphone and iPod that people use today. That could be an exciting and informative lesson to explore - have students ever thought about the visual components that make their favorite social networks or gaming systems appealing to them? Technology use in the classroom can be aided or hindered by the resources available in a particular school, but I don't see that as problem. For example, it will be unlikely that my classroom will be adequately equipped to allow an entire class to use computers at the same time for research or digital art, but we can schedule time in the school library or computer lab. Students can use their phones, cameras or other devices to take digital photos or videos to incorporate into class projects. I would encourage my students to take Linsay's suggestion (above) and bring my attention to artists and methods they have found and would like to learn more about. They will be more excited about learning any subject matter if it is meaningful or intriguing to them. I think blogging is a fantastic vehicle for communication and feedback between the teacher and pupils, and can be used to build a stronger community overall. It can also save precious time in the classroom, because some discussions can take place via blog as homework assignments. From my perspective, a huge aspect of teaching is the ability to be flexible, creative, make content relevant to the students' worlds while learning from each other. Technology is a giant component of modern kids' lives. I am just beginning to find ways to blend the traditional arts and technology together, but I am by no means intimidated by the challenge of making it work.

      Delete
  5. Olivia is very resourceful indeed. I never would have thought of going to the apple store in order to gain access to computers. I not only have my own computer but I have access to computers at work and school. However, Olivia definitely has me beat regarding her programming skills. Watching these videos have opened my eyes to the many inventive ways that young people use technology as well.
    Mackisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, this is a very good blogpost: Your tone is conversational and your analysis insightful. I especially appreciate your incisive comment: "I would not have been prepared to discover just how technically savvy the students were despite their lack of regular access," because it defies the myth that if students don't have access at home, then teachers shouldn't bother using technology in the classroom. We need to move beyond access as an excuse.
    With that said, your post is a bit lengthy (more than 1000 words and the limit was 750-words), so try to be more concise in the future. I would also like to have seen more reflection on the potential negative influences of your 3 chosen technologies, for if we're only considering the positive, then it really isn't a balanced discussion, is it? Overall, though, it's a well-crafted first blog post and I hope you find this feedback helpful.

    ReplyDelete