Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Interactivity #3: An Inventory of Technologies for ART

What I found most exciting about the inventory we collected is how well some of my favorite technologies can be used in conjunction with each other. For example, all students in my "dream classroom" will have iPads. They can use them for research on Art Project by Google (the zoom feature ), choose a favorite artist, then use Paint Like a Famous Artist to interactively explore what design properties distinguished that artist's work.  Then they can present their interactive research to the class by connecting to our Smartboard (I think teachers need to be more creative in how we use them for learning.) I do think it is imperative that 21st century students learn traditional methods of art-making (using manual technology when appropriate) in order to understand art history, but now they can upload their own work, by themselves, to our class website and/or blog. This will enable family, friends, community members and artists to view, discuss and question the students' art. An interdisciplinary unit could require students to design their own cultural transformation project such as Make Art For Change, then share it worldwide using VoiceThread. Voice-Activated Apps and Assistive Technology are really cool ways to make the action of art-making accessible to students with physical disabilities. Volunteers can be challenged to Bend a Building with Voices as a year-long collaborative undertaking.

Researching for this interactivity was engaging and self-perpetuating. Many times when I discovered an amazing technology it led to others. I do not think the group process for this interactivity was truly collaborative for our group. It has been difficult to communicate effectively with people we have never met. (Are people more accountable when they have to meet in person?) I have other course-related obligations all day tomorrow and need to make my post this evening even if the group is not finished, so I cannot wait for last-minute additions. It was a fun surprise each day to see what new technologies had been added to the spreadsheet, and I'm looking forward to using what will be accessible in my future classroom. My CURR 314 course just began last week, but I feel confident that some of the technologies we found could serve as cool tools for student assessment as well.

4 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I love that technology can be used in conjunction with each other. Just as in your art class, I can do the same in my math class. For example, students can do calculations or graphing on their calculators, which can then be connected to the Smartboard for everyone to see. Students can make educational videos or take pictures and like you said upload them to websites (SchoolTube) or blogs. By incorporating these technologies in the lessons it makes the information relatable to the students and to the outside world. The lessons can be more meaningful and exciting then just simply copying down notes on a piece of paper. I'm looking forward to using some of the technologies I learned about in this group activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita, by having your students make videos or take pictures for their math projects, you are designing an interdisciplinary lesson with the arts! As I read through people's posts for this interactivity, I am beginning to think that the technologies available to us today will be really helpful in designing more cross-curricular lessons for our students, which is an exciting prospect. Linking art and math can be tricky, so thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking through your suggested websites I am truly amazed at how you choose to incorporate technology within your discipline. You have chosen a totally different way to allow students to express themselves while relating to their interests and the required content material. I'm curious if you would use these resources throughout the whole year or only as a specific unit? Would the use of technology in art take away from the more traditional methods of art? On another note, I had the same feeling towards the group project as you did but I did feel this method would better measure the accountability of members. I found that I was much less stressed than I am normally when completing group assignments because I had completed my responsibility and wasn't responsible for all the other member's pieces to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, a school would have to have complete computer or internet access for all students in order to pull off the little integration I envisioned for Interactivity #3, so I don't think it would be easy to use that many resources in any one unit. It would be nice if students had the opportunity to use at least one of the technologies we found in every lesson, if it is useful for learning. I mentioned in my post that I still think students need to learn traditional art techniques in order to construct meaning in art history, but some of the technologies I found enable students to link processes that may seem ancient, dusty and useless to ones they use for everyday living. Making information exciting and relevant is, in my opinion, what teaching is all about.

    ReplyDelete