Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Environmental Art & Technology

I was recently searching the internet for a safe, exciting method for students to create bas relief sculpture for an 8th grade lesson plan I was writing. I came across the attached lesson plan during my search, and decided to share it with all of you art education majors in CURR 316. While I did not choose this method for the lesson I just wrote, I really liked how the plan incorporates environmental awareness, sculpture and technology in the form of digital cameras and usage of Photoshop. The teacher also created a slideshow of completed student work, but I would change that and have my students create the slideshow themselves. Using Google Docs, each student can upload the digital photo of their work and design their own slide, then the full class slideshow can be viewed in class for critique, feedback and discussion. It was nice to find that real working teachers are finding ways to incorporate technology into their art classes.
ENVIRONMENTAL ART & TECHNOLOGY LESSON PLAN

3 comments:

  1. Even as a non art major I really enjoyed this lesson plan. I have discussed in depth with my TFL1 professor the idea of cross curricular lesson planning. I think this type of lesson would be ideal to create a meaningful lesson that the students could relate to and understand throughout different contexts. For example, the environmental awareness could relate to science classes, photoshop in computer classes, the defense of their piece and critique in english classes. It is lessons like these that truly show the importance of art as a necessary discipline for students of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love your idea of making this into more of an interdisciplinary performance task! My methods course requires us to build at least one other content area into our plans, so I am used to looking for that, and honestly it really does help students connect what they learn in any class to other aspects of their lives. Two of the lessons I field tested combined art and science and art and language arts, and the students really responded and were engaged in the lesson. Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at the lesson, and then also read your comments- which were encouraging to here. The lesson you showed us is completely current and up-to-date with the technologies involved. I agree that I would make the students create the slideshow of their final works. But also, the fact that this lesson can become so interdisciplinary makes one want to reconsider how schools create their curriculum. One day I believe art won't be a subject, but a requirement. Like you have mentioned, I too enjoy making art interdisciplinary. Art doesn't need to stand alone, but all teachers should include art in their lessons to SUPPORT their lessons (as our technologies should too). I think education needs to be reformatted to ensure students are learning skills they can take into their lives. I also think art needs to be considered more than art, such as we mentioned (an enhancement to lessons, support different learning types, etc). Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete